The Afterthought – Reel Focus blogger’s initial reaction to a new television show, new film release or television show season premiere.
Last season, I got into the “Empire” craze late. I had heard rumors from friends and co-workers that this show is fantastic but I wasn’t eager to watch it because in the back of my mind I thought “It’s network television, how good could this show really be?” Well it’s a good thing that I didn’t let my prejudice cause me to miss out on one of the hottest shows that I have ever seen on network television. I couldn’t believe some of the things I saw unfold before my eyes on screen. This show really pushes the limits of what has been standard television and I like it. With shows like this coming back to television, I won’t have to rely so much on cable surfing to find a great thriller.
In the last episode, we witnessed Lucious Lyon get taken to jail and his oldest son, Andre committed a crime that we’re not entirely sure is actually a crime yet. How did the season open up? Let’s find out.
My Synopsis of the Episode
I don’t want to spoil it for anyone so I will be very brief and mention the 6 most critical things that happened on the show.
- Cookie Lyons opens up the episode with a ‘Free Lucious Concert’
- In jail, Lucious runs into an old dangerous acquaintance – Frank Gathers
- Mimi, a woman involved in helping Cookie perform a hostile takeover of Empire from Lucious is ironically working for Lucious – the family’s plan foils and Jamal is infuriated as a result of the family’s scheme
- Cookie is being viciously taunted by Frank Gathers even while he is jail so she visits Lucious to have him put a stop to it
- Frank and Lucious meet in jail and Frank wants his supposedly loyal jail mates to kill Luscious however they are loyal to Lucious and he has them to take care of Frank instead
- The episode ends with Jamal still brewing over the hostile takeover that Cookie schemed up and there is an implication that she has just incited a war, not with Lucious this time but with Jamal
The Afterthought – My Take on the Season Premiere
My, my, my! What an opener! I was amazingly calm throughout most of the episode. I think this may have been what the production team wanted the audience to experience. I felt like we were being eased back into the plot rather than hit with too much too fast. Just as the ‘boat was steadied,’ it was shook up by the hostile takeover scene in which Cookie’s scheme to oust Lucious failed. From that point on, we start to see the real Empire that we are accustomed to: the shadiness, the in-fighting, and most importantly Lucious handling business even while incarcerated. Overall, I was very pleased with the opening episode and I certainly can’t wait to see what Jamal plans to do to get revenge on his mother for what she did. It looks like the drama is getting ready to start cooking rather rapidly from now on and I hope that some of the stuff we’re still in the dark about will come to light soon enough.
IMDb TV Show Synopsis
Lucious, the founder and CEO of a successful record label has been diagnosed with ALS. He must choose one of his three sons to take over the company when he dies. Meanwhile, his ex wife and co-founder, Cookie, has been released from prison and wants to reclaim her rightful place in the company.
TV Show Directors
Lee Daniels, Sanaa Hamri, Debbie Allen, Michael Engler, Rob Hardy, Anthony Hemingway, Rosemary Rodriguez, John Singleton, Danny Strong, Mario Van Peebles
TV Show Writer(s)
Lee Daniels, Danny Strong, Ilene Chaiken, Joshua Allen, Wendy Calhoun , Eddie Gonzalez , Jeremy Haft, Eric Haywood, Attica Locke, David Rambo, Malcolm Spellman
Terrence Howard , Taraji P. Henson, Bryshere Y. Gray, Jussie Smollett, Trai Byers, Grace Gealey, Kaitlin Doubleday, Ta’Rhonda Jones, Gabourey Sidibe, Malik Yoba, Derek Luke